Join us as a Back End Software Engineer
- We’re looking for a Back End Software Engineer to work as the engineering lead in one of the core missions teams at Mettle
- Built for small businesses, startups, limited companies, sole traders, contractors and freelancers, Mettle is a free business account by NatWest that helps our customers get ahead today
- You’ll be working with new and innovative technology to deliver high impact solutions
- Hone your existing software engineering skills and advance your career in this critical role
What you'll do
You’ll apply widely agreed software engineering principles and methodologies to design, develop, test and maintain applications and services to achieve the stated business and technology goals within required budgets and timelines. We’ll also look to you to oversee the quality of work, making sure that it meets the technical standards for all services output.
- Design and develop reusable libraries and APIs for use across the bank
- Design and develop software that is amenable for a greater automation of build, release testing and deployment process on all environments
- Drive the reuse and sharing of platform components and technologies within the software engineering teams
- Deliver software components to enable the delivery of platforms, applications and services
- Write unit and integration tests, in automated test environments to ensure code quality
The skills you'll need
You’ll need a strong background in software engineering, software design or database design and architecture, as well as extensive experience of developing software in a SOA or micro-services paradigm. You should also have development experience in a programming language, experience of using industry recognised frameworks and development tooling, and a background of implementing programming best practice, especially around scalability, availability and performance. A deep knowledge of Java, knowledge of event sourcing or CQRS architecture patterns and Kafka is also essential.
To succeed in this role, you'll need self-motivation and a passion for both business and technology innovation, as well as the ability to clearly understand the user experience and to apply this understanding to enhance the overall customer experience. You'll also need practical and theoretical knowledge of Java software development, paired with strong experience of Spring Boot, an understanding of Kubernetes or Docker, and an excellent understanding of AWS.
You’ll also need:
- Experience of message-driven architectures, Kafka or event sourcing, as well as experience of working on a highly secure application
- Success of delivering within an Agile environment
- Extensive experience of test-driven development alongside the use of automated test frameworks, mocking and stubbing and unit testing tools
- Knowledge of the key phases of software delivery lifecycle and established software development methodologies
- Experience of working in an environment where products must be delivered to specific timescales
- An understanding of how to translate product and business requirements into technical solutions
- The ability to understand and support, modify and maintain systems and code developed by other engineering teams
If you need any adjustments to support your application, such as information in alternative formats or special requirements to access our buildings, or if you’re eligible under the Disability Confident Scheme please contact us and we’ll do everything we can to help.
Not the right role?
We’re always on the lookout for talented people. If you don’t see the right role today, sign up to job alerts and we’ll let you know when something more suitable comes up.Set up job alerts